The North End: 5 Must-Visit Boston Neighborhoods, Part IV

March 6, 2017 70 Comments

Boston Tour

All month long, I’ve been giving you a tour of the city that I know like the back of my hand. Join me on my Boston tour this week as we visit another favorite neighborhood: The North End.

Monica’s Mercato & Salumeria

Boston Tour: 5 Must-Visit Neighborhoods

The North End

The North End is Boston’s Little Italy, which was first settled in the 1630s. On your Boston tour, wander around Copp’s Hill Burying Ground, a scenic cemetery founded in 1659; and Old North Church, where in 1775, two lanterns were hung to covertly warn the patriots of incoming British troops. Be sure to reserve an evening of your Boston tour to try some of the best Italian food you’ll ever have, with most of the restaurants located on Hanover & Salem Streets.

North End

Must-See Spots in the North End on Your Boston Tour

Copp’s Hill Burying Ground

Copp’s Hill Burying Ground

You can truly get lost in time here among the thousands of 17th century gravestones. Copp’s Hill is also the tallest point in the North End, so be sure to stop here on your Boston tour for a beautiful view.

• Intersection of Hull Street & Snow Hill Street, Boston, MA 02113
  • Closest T stop: Haymarket (Orange line, Green line – C & E branches)
  • Season: Spring, summer, fall

Copp’s Hill Burying Ground

Old North Church

Old North Church

Do you know the phrase “One if by land, two if by sea”? Of course you do—and the steeple where the lanterns were placed belongs to this church. Be sure to visit this landmark on your Boston tour!

• 193 Salem Street, Boston, MA 02113
  • Closest T stop: Haymarket (Orange line, Green line – C & E branches)
  • Season: Spring, summer, fall

Old North Church

Copp’s Hill Burying Ground

North End Streets to Wander on Your Boston Tour

Charter Street
Hanover Street
Salem Street

North End

La Galleria 33

North End Restaurants to Try on Your Boston Tour

La Galleria 33

• 125 Salem Street, Boston, MA 02113
  • Closest T stop: Haymarket (Orange line, Green line – C & E branches)
  • Meal: Dinner

Al Dente

• 109 Salem Street, Boston, MA 02113
  • Closest T stop: Haymarket (Orange line, Green line – C & E branches)
  • Meal: Dinner

North End

Boston Tour

Liked this Boston tour? Check out my guides to Back BayDowntown BostonBeacon Hill, and the South End!

Are you following me on FacebookInstagramBloglovin’ and Google+? Subscribe to each channel to make sure you don’t miss a single post, from a Boston tour to must-try recipes!

Brigette Collins

March 6, 2017

Boston looks so beautiful! I have always wanted to visit!

March 6, 2017

You absolutely should visit Boston – it really has something for everyone!

candy

March 6, 2017

I have read about North Hill Church and Copp Hill and would love to visit one day. For now I will just have to enjoy looking at your photos.

March 6, 2017

I hope you get to see them in person someday, they’re gorgeous – and the history is just as cool!

colleen wool

March 6, 2017

Your photos are amazing. i really want to visit Boston.

March 6, 2017

Thank you so much! You should definitely add it to your list!

Shane Prather

March 6, 2017

I had no idea Boston had such architectural beauty! Love seeing this side of the town.

March 6, 2017

That’s one of my favorite things about this city, honestly – I just love wandering around with my camera, looking at the interesting mix of architecture! So cool!

Kyle Studstill

March 6, 2017

I have still yet to visit Boston, great to have another neighborhood in mind!

March 6, 2017

I hope you make it here someday, it really is a special place! Thanks for reading!

Crystal // Dreams, etc.

March 6, 2017

Boston has been on my list of places to visit for awhile! I really need to make it a priority and get out there soon.

March 8, 2017

You absolutely should! It’s such a great place to visit.

Sarah

March 6, 2017

Great ideas. I’ll have to try when I am able to visit Boston!

March 8, 2017

Thanks, Sarah! Absolutely use this guide if you visit, you’ll get the best photos! 🙂

Kiara

March 7, 2017

Thanks for sharing this! My boyfriend and I are going to Boston next month, so we’ve been reading up on things to do, places to see and where to eat and drink!

March 11, 2017

Oh my gosh, so happy you found my blog just in time! Let me know how your trip goes, I’d love to hear about it 🙂

Hanka

March 7, 2017

I ´ve never heard of those place, but even from the pictures I can feel their magical atmosphere!

March 8, 2017

So true! Boston has so many well-known places, but in my opinion, it’s the under-the-radar gorgeous views that make it such a special place!

Kristin

March 7, 2017

The North End looks so pretty! I love how old and historic it looks (and is). I think I would really enjoy visiting there!

March 8, 2017

Thank you, Kristin! I honestly think there’s something for everyone here, whether you love history, great food, or just charming places!

Sam

March 7, 2017

I haven’t been to Boston yet, but I’m dying to, especially after this article! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks so much, Sam! Absolutely add it to your list–preferably toward the top 😉

Sarah Jean althouse

March 7, 2017

I’ve visited Boston several times and love my experience every time. So rich in history and culture, and the food ins’t that bad either. Thanks for the recommendations – especially what seasons to visit what places!

March 8, 2017

Ah, so happy you’ve been here and loved it! The food is better than “not that bad,” hahah 😉

Ashley Stephenson

March 7, 2017

I have never been to Boston but it is definitely on my go to list! Looks like so much fun!

March 8, 2017

Thanks so much, Ashley! Definitely visit Boston someday!

Divya

March 7, 2017

I hope to visit Boston sooner or later! I tend to rely on Yelp when I’m traveling (when it comes to food!) but it’s always much nicer to get a local’s perspective!

March 8, 2017

Hi Divya – I do that too! I spend hours bookmarking places to visit and eat before I go to a new city, and add in any recommendations that I get from friends. I always avoid anywhere that people refer to as a “tourist trap,” since I love to get the local experience!

Kristine-Bites of Flavor

March 7, 2017

WOW I love all these pictures. Boston is on my bucket list of cities to visit and I want to go even more now after reading this post!

March 8, 2017

Thank you so much, Kristine!! That makes me so happy!

Rose

March 7, 2017

So glad to see the tour continue! I’ve been enjoying all the peeks on Instagram.

Thanks so much for reading week after week, Rose! 🙂

Kusum

March 7, 2017

I did my master’s in Boston so the city always holds a special place in my heart. For having lived there for 2.5 years I have only been to NorthEnd once. Will be sure to check out these attractions the next time I am there.

xx, Kusum | http://www.sveeteskapes.com

March 8, 2017

So many people come to Boston for school and leave a piece of their heart behind–I know that’s why I’m still here! Absolutely visit the North End next time, you’ll love it!

Latonya

March 8, 2017

Your photos are beautiful! I enjoyed the virtual tour of the North End of Boston.

March 8, 2017

Thank you so much, Latonya – so glad you enjoyed the photos!!

Amanda

March 8, 2017

I have always wanted to visit Boston….. Your pics are stunning. Can’t wait to go and see all of this first hand. Thanks for sharing!

March 8, 2017

Yay, thanks so much, Amanda–so glad you enjoyed the post!

Rachel Ritlop

March 8, 2017

I don’t think I’ve ever been to this part of boston! It looks so cool! I love a good cemetery

March 8, 2017

Me too, I love historical cemeteries! I love wandering around Copp’s Hill in the fall!

Abbey

March 8, 2017

Just beautiful! Those brick buildings are amazing!

March 8, 2017

Thank you!! Aren’t they?! I love that about Boston, it has such a unique style!

Kendra

March 8, 2017

Thanks for fueling my desire to travel to Boston soon! lol – All of this looks beautiful, I’ve always wanted to visit. Hopefully soon! 😀

March 8, 2017

Hahaha, thanks, Kendra! You should visit Boston for SURE!

Wendy Sprous | Moments For "Me"

March 8, 2017

I enjoyed this. Would you believe I’ve lived in Massachusetts for about 14 years now and never explored much of Boston? The big city gives me a lot of anxiety and it’s only been in the past year that I’ve been willing to venture into Boston. I drove to Boston this year to visit the Boston Museum of Science with my daughter’s school (Massachusetts Virtual Academy). The museum is very nice and reminded me of the St. Louis one we enjoyed frequently when my daughters were younger.

March 8, 2017

Oh my gosh! There’s so much to see! I totally get the anxiety, it’s why I refuse to drive into the city; but I take the train in every day for work, and I spend my lunch breaks wandering around. I hope you’re able to explore more soon!!

Neely Moldovan

March 8, 2017

I’ve never been to boston but its high on my list!

March 8, 2017

As it should be, hahah! Hope you make it here someday, you’d love it!

The Southern Thing

March 8, 2017

Boston is such a great city! I lived in New England for 2 years for grad school and I would visit the city often. Love the North End! There are so many great restaurants!

March 11, 2017

Ah! So glad you got the chance to live here for a couple of years – even if you can’t put up with the long winters in the long-term (hah), it’s such a great place to experience!

Annie

March 8, 2017

Boston is one of my favorites cities! I was just there in January. Great post!

March 11, 2017

Yay! Hope you had a wonderful time here, in spite of the cold!

Jewels

March 8, 2017

Great suggestions! I’ve been to Boston so many times and haven’t seen some of the places you mentioned.

March 11, 2017

That’s exactly what I hoped to do – to create a guide for people who have never been to Boston, and people who have seen all of the tourist-y attractions and are ready to go off the beaten path! Thanks 🙂

colleen wool

March 9, 2017

Boston looks amazing. I really want to visit.

Thank you, Colleen! Absolutely add it to your list! 🙂

Katie Kinsley

March 9, 2017

I love Boston and haven’t been in quite a while. I’d love to go back!

March 11, 2017

Ooh, definitely do! The city’s changed so much in the last few years!

Anonymous

March 9, 2017

I’m from Ludlow, MA so I’m very familiar with Boston. Lived in Massachusetts for 18 years then moved to Florida, sometimes I miss it back there.

Sincerely,
    Thivy Michelle

March 11, 2017

Hah, I bet you’re not the first to move down south after living in Massachusetts for a while! Thanks, Thivy 🙂

Anna nuttall

March 9, 2017

What a beautiful place and I would love too one day visit Boston. xx

March 11, 2017

Thanks so much for reading, Anna!

Style & Life by Susana

March 9, 2017

I have always had a fascination with Boston and now this post gives me a definite reason I have to visit next year!! Thank you for the suggestions and the photos are gorgeous!!

March 11, 2017

Yay, that makes me so happy, Susana! So glad you found my blog, hope it helps you when you get the chance to visit!

Kristen

March 9, 2017

What a beautiful city! So much history, I would love to visit and see everything!

March 11, 2017

It really is awesome to see so much history in such a modern city – definitely unique to Boston. Hope you get a chance to visit someday!

Jennifer Corter

March 10, 2017

I’ve always wanted to visit Boston! Hopefully someday I will! This is a great guide! I want to definitely check out that burying ground!

March 11, 2017

Thank you so much, Jennifer – absolutely do! Boston has several amazing ones, but this one’s definitely the best!

Joscelyn

March 10, 2017

I’ve always wanted to visit Boston! Seems like there’s so much to see and do!

March 11, 2017

That’s so true – there’s really something for everyone here! Amazing food, beautiful things to see – I definitely recommend it 🙂 Thanks, Joscelyn!