Beacon Hill: 5 Must-Visit Boston Neighborhoods, Part III

February 20, 2017 38 Comments 30 Photos

Boston neighborhoods

In the 8 years since I moved to Boston, I’ve fallen in love with this city over and over again. It’s a city with personality, and the juxtaposition of storied colonial architecture with modern skyscrapers gives you something new to discover in each of the Boston neighborhoods you visit.

Boston neighborhoods

I know that you’ll fall in love with Boston when you visit, so I wanted to put all of the information you’ll need for the perfect trip at your fingertips. Enjoy this guide to Beacon Hill, one of my favorite Boston neighborhoods; and then explore Back BayDowntown Bostonthe North End, and the South End!

5 Must-Visit Boston Neighborhoods:

Beacon Hill

Beacon Hill is famous for its historic brick row houses and picturesque streets, still illuminated by gas lamps. This Boston neighborhood was named for the hilltop beacon that once warned Bostonians of impending invasions. Do yourself a favor and set aside an afternoon for weaving up and down the narrow streets, taking as many pictures as you can—this neighborhood is as Bostonian as it gets.

Acorn Street

Rouvalis Flowers

Must-See Spots in Beacon Hill

Louisburg Square

Louisburg Square

Townhouses on this picturesque block sell for upwards of $11 million. Rumor has it that John Kerry’s family owns one.

• Louisberg Square, Boston, MA 02108
  • Closest T stop: Charles/MGH (Red line), Park Street (Green line – all branches)
  • Season: Spring, summer, fall

Rouvalis Flowers

Rouvalis Flowers

The cutest little flower shop there ever was.

• 40 West Cedar Street, Boston, MA 02108
  • Season: Spring, summer, fall

Rouvalis Flowers

Acorn Street

Acorn Street

This tiny little street is one of the most-photographed spots among all of the Boston neighborhoods. Between the cobblestones and the Victorian row houses, this is as charming as it gets. Just don’t try to walk up the hill if it’s icy!

• Between West Cedar Street & Willow Street, Boston, MA 02108

Mt. Vernon Street
Myrtle Street
Pinckney Street
Revere Street

Chestnut Street

Boston neighborhoods

Liked this post? Check out my guides to 4 more Boston neighborhoods: Back BayDowntown Bostonthe North End, and the South End!

Are you following me on FacebookInstagramBloglovin’ and Google+? Subscribe to each channel to make sure you don’t miss a single post, from must-visit Boston neighborhoods to must-try recipes!

Jasper

February 22, 2017

This is perfect! I’ve never been to Boston and was planning to take a trip this summer. Thanks for the info ❤️

March 1, 2017

I am so happy to hear that it’ll come in handy! Enjoy Boston, I know you’ll love it 🙂

Anna nuttall

February 22, 2017

What a beautiful neighbourhood. I would love to visit one day. xx

March 1, 2017

Thank you so much, Anna! It truly is gorgeous – I feel so lucky to be able to take walks here every day!

Jenn

February 22, 2017

Love this! Boston looks like an amazing city and your incite just put Boston on my bucket list!

March 1, 2017

Yay, I’m so happy to hear that!! Hope you make it here someday!

Hanka

February 22, 2017

I love the architecture of the red brick row houses – look so picturesque to me! I´m adding Boston to my travel bucket list 🙂

March 1, 2017

Yes, absolutely add it to your list!! I love brownstones too – another neighborhood that’s similar is Old City in Philadelphia! So gorgeous.

Abbey

February 22, 2017

Beacon Hill looks absolutely beautiful!

March 1, 2017

Thanks, Abbey 🙂 It truly is – even more so in person than in photos, if you can believe it!

Leslie

February 22, 2017

These are great places! I have been to Boston a few times and i have loved every minute of it. I will have to pin these places for next time.

March 1, 2017

Thank you, Leslie – absolutely do! I love visiting cities with a list of places I HAVE to go for gorgeous pictures – takes all the guesswork out of it, and maximizes the beauty that you get to see!

Amanda Middleton

February 22, 2017

Your photographs are stunning! Would love to visit one day!

March 1, 2017

Thanks, Amanda – so glad you like them! Boston is just as pretty in person!

Rose

February 22, 2017

I’ve enjoyed all of your Boston tour guides so much! I can’t wait to visit again.

March 1, 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to read all of them, Rose! You rock!

candy

February 23, 2017

Never been to Boston but have heard of Beacon Hills. I have always loved brick homes even brick row houses. Nice you were there in the fall with all the pumpkins.

March 1, 2017

Thank you, Candy! That little shop, Rouvalis Flowers, has seasonal displays that change every single week. Their attention to detail is absolutely amazing – I love taking photos there!!

Divya

February 24, 2017

This area is so adorable! I could imagine myself living here someday. You make me want to move to Boston! 🙂

March 1, 2017

Thank you, Divya 🙂 I really do recommend it if you ever get a chance – there are so many charming neighborhoods to wander. (Not to mention all of the smart people and great food!)

Cheyenne

February 24, 2017

My husband and I took our first kid-free trip last year and we went to Boston. We fell in love with the city too! This post brings back a lot of great memories!

March 1, 2017

Ahh, that sounds like so much fun – so happy you got the chance to visit!!

Kristine-Bites of Flavor

February 24, 2017

What a beautiful post! I have always wanted to go to Boston, and just told my husband last week we needed to go. Saving this for our future trip!

March 1, 2017

Thank you so much, Kristine – I hope you get a chance to use it!!

Daniel

February 25, 2017

I have only been to Boston once, part of a trip for work a few years ago. Little did I know there was so much to see!!!
    I will keep this post for sure for future reference! Thanks!

March 1, 2017

I hope you get the chance to go back someday! So many people visit without realizing that had they taken one more turn, they would have stumbled into the most charming neighborhood they’ve ever seen!

Julia

February 25, 2017

So beautiful!! I especially love all the greenery everywhere! You don’t always see that in big cities!!

March 1, 2017

Thank you, Julia!! Actually, you’re so right – I forget that other cities aren’t as lush as Boston is. I feel lucky to live in a place that prioritizes trees! (And amazing architecture… and delicious food…)

February 25, 2017

Boston is one of my all time fave cities! I’ve never spent any real time in Beacon Hill, so this was a treat to read…. so nice! Robin

March 1, 2017

Thank you so much, other Robin! 🙂 Wow, if you love Boston already, you won’t even believe how much you’ll love it after you wander around Beacon Hill for an hour or two!

Kelly

February 25, 2017

This post is so perfectly timed for me. I was actually talking to a friend today about how I have never been to Boston and she kept raving about it and that I need to go. So I am totally saving this post for when I do. Thanks so much.

March 1, 2017

Omg, such a coincidence! (Also, Boston is just that awesome.) I hope this guide comes in handy, I know Boston like the back of my hand and just want everyone to have the most amazing time here!!

tahna

February 26, 2017

Awww love how ur description brought me there. It.s easy to see why u love the city. <3

March 1, 2017

I’m so happy my post could bring the city to life for you! Thanks 🙂

colleen wool

February 26, 2017

I have always wanted to visit Boston. The pictures look awesome.

March 1, 2017

Thanks, Colleen!! Definitely explore Boston if you get the chance!

Vaishnavi

March 5, 2017

I love Boston. Such lovely pictures – love your photography. Awesome place indeed. I’d love to be able to make it for a holiday once again.

Lauren

April 12, 2017

Thanks, Robin! This has been so helpful in planning our trip to Boston. We’ll be there in August!